Sunday, April 9, 2017

Proudest Moment of the Year


Let me introduce you to Donnie, who came into my life about seven years ago. Last month, we finally celebrated his college graduation from Portland State University!

Through his journey, Donnie learned how to work hard, be proactive and responsible, and communicate with his peers and professors. Despite his Asperger's, he persevered academically, but more importantly, personally. He has grown so much and I couldn't be more proud.

The road to becoming a college grad was sometimes rocky, but we finally made it to the end. As our last session came to a close, tears welled up in my eyes and I expressed (or more so blubbered) to Donnie just how proud I was of him and surprisingly, when I looked back, Donnie had tears in his eyes too. I can't tell you how amazing his showing of emotion made me feel. He said, "Amy, I wouldn't be here without you." My heart melted. I love you, Donnie! Friends forever:)


No comments:

Post a Comment